Thursday, June 7, 2012

AARG 7 Castillo's Cafe

Last night I went to Castillo's Cafe.  It was my 4th AARG experience. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Tamara Z again. We had some laughs about the illustrations on the menu. Tamara is good AARG company. My mother and I shared an order of the Crab Enchaldo. We were both excited to try it. It is one of our favorite family dishes and we wanted to see how it stacked up to my great grandfather's recipe. It was pretty good. It was a red sauce, kind of spicy, with chunks of crabmeat in it. I enjoyed it but when my 'papa' makes it he puts whole crabs in it so you get to shell the crabs and eat those too.I think Papa cooks his longer too, his is thicker and a little richer but Castillo's was good. Very good. It was really close in favor, a close second to my great grandpas.   We also shared the black beans and yellow rice. It was very tasty. It was a traditional dish, exactly what I expected and very satisfying. The fried plantains were also very delicious.  The whole meal was yum-mainia!






We also got a Flan Bonus! Awesome dessert on the house for the AARG! Yahoo!
I also got to handout 3 blog cards, like business cards. That was fun too.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Crab Enchalado! Every 4th of July, my family would gather at the beach and cook up big pots of it. We also put whole blue crabs in it and most of those crabs were usually caught by my older cousins and uncle. The trick was to eat it while wearing your bathing suit so when you got covered in red sauce and messy, you just ran into the Gulf to wash off!

    Really enjoying your blog. Just shared it on facebook. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Flan! The sweet treat with the funny name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Castillo's Cafe. Adam is not a fan of cracking the crab shells but loves the flavor of Crabs Enchalado. I am going to have to take him sometime soon. thanks for the tip.

    How does one become a member of the AARG?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! I just wanted to add one thing about the delicious flan. The owner of the restaurant said last night that his 84-year-old mother had made it for everyone. Isn't that lovely? Also, I really liked your description of the snow pea tips. They are a really singular color of green. And I totally agree with you about Yummy House. Always great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Food Girl. Love your blog. So glad you're a part of AARG! Thanks for the card. You rock!

    ReplyDelete